Coming Clean!

I have to update my readers.  I’ve intentionally stopped posting about the pond.  No bush. No duck. No footprints in the snow.

Four days ago, I wrote a tribute to Mrs. Shoveler, a hen Northern Shoveler who, having suffered an injury, was grounded on the pond.  I first noticed her on December 14.  Very consistently, nature shares some revelation with me on December 14, every year.  This year, having solicited the support of all of my social media contacts and City of Calgary wildlife organizations, I had lost hope of retrieving this bird from the open water and on January 2nd, having come upon a kill site, I knew that she had come into the clutches of a canine predator.


I woke, on January 3rd, knowing that later in the afternoon, I would be attending prayers for Emelia, a former student who passed away, sadly, on December 26.  I had one of those mornings where I drifted in and out of sleep for quite some time.  I’m an early riser, but when it’s bitterly cold outside and the alarm isn’t set, I enjoy that wonderful pull-back into sleep.  I didn’t know where the distinction was, that morning, between dream and thought.  Let’s just say that the images that surfaced from the fog included a big red vessel, many cables from land being pulled strenuously, heavily weighted, a duck-like bird that looked as though it was a character in a graphic novel, these images all in techno-colour blue and red and yellow…somewhere, a shift…a large wolf-like dog pouncing, shaking, lifeless form, indistinct.  I jolted awake from this.

While I made my coffee, I prayed for parents who have lost a child, for each morning, for each new day’s realization.  It was ridiculous that I should have had an attachment to the Northern Shoveler. “Time to let go of these images and these attachments.  What can I do to disconnect from this experience?”  Several people, including my father and Ruth Purves-Smith and Sean Kubara said all of the right things and while disappointed, I did realize that in nature, you truly find a circle of life.  I headed for the pond, with Max, thinking that I might collect a feather to bring home.

This is what I found…”PIGEON FEATHERS!!!  Are you kidding me???”


Looking to the right, this is what I saw…


“YES!  That’s her!”  I hooted!  I ran to the car and called the non-emergency fire department. That was it!  I wasn’t messing around anymore.  I was going to get Mrs. off of the water! The department was kind enough to assess the situation and their feed back was, “She seems to be enjoying her time out there on the pond.”  Okay…so, that wasn’t the avenue I was going to take.  I sent a message off to AIWC Alberta Institute for Wildlife Conservation.  Ducks Unlimited sent me a message, “Ducks sometime choose to hang out all winter long.”  At this point I thought about all of the people who had supported me and who had read my heart felt thoughts in my Mrs. tribute.  I decided, until this situation had a resolution, I was going to stop myself from sharing anything at all.  I left the pond, feeling determined.

I went to say prayers for Emelia, connecting with so many people who loved and shared time with Emelia in life…hugging her Mom.

Exhausted, I headed home, full of the absolute joy and sadness of life and living.

On January 4, word came from AIWC and a capture attempt would happen, around noon. Thanks to the training and experience of Cheryl, Dan and a Birds Calgary member, Rodney, we put in an effort and discovered more about the little lady on the pond.  First of all, the injury was to her leg/foot and not her wings. This was a good thing.  This meant that she could escape a predator if need be. Since December 14, I had visualized getting a raft out onto that open water, and yet that would not have been helpful at all.  She would take off at every approach, circle and swish down into the water over and over again.  When she landed onto the fresh snow, she couldn’t walk and would take off from there again and again.

Mrs. got really annoyed with all of us and finally took off east down the line of 22X.  We had to close up shop.  I had gratitude, for the fact that she could fly and that she could use her natural instincts to avoid predators.  Unfortunately, I knew that bad weather was on the way.  The next attempt would not be until January 6.  I hugged the volunteers and headed home, informed of how to feed her and what to feed her in the case that she came back, so a quick stop was made and that evening, as sun was setting, I headed to the open water, hoping for her return, bucket of corn millet in tow.

Not only was little Mrs. back, but she had company in a female Mallard who enjoyed the easy pickings of the seed that I threw out onto the water.


The next day, Mrs. Shoveler was alone again,  when Max and I stopped in to throw some feed and to go for our walk.


I knew that weather was changing and sure enough, when I visited her at 5:00, the water was turning to slush, the seed was just sitting on the solidifying surface and she was barely moving on the far side of her patch of open water. Evening…and I wondered with the snow that was falling if there would be any way to survive the plummeting temperatures and the snowfall.


Today, I hiked down to the site, with Dan and Cheryl’s promise that they would be coming down for noon time, to find this…


I texted Cheryl…there was no reason she should make the effort and come south from Airdrie in such rotten conditions, if our Shoveler had met her demise.  I went back to the car and stayed warm and hoped that Cheryl would contact me.

We hugged in the parking lot and then, together, walked down to the site, in order to scout around the cat tails.  It took no more than ten minutes and Cheryl spotted her…back wing feathers and tail feathers out of the snow…but otherwise, buried and seeming stuck on the slope directly up from the pond.  Quietly, Dan approached with his net, gathering her up.  There were joyful utterances from all of us and an urgency to get the snow off of her and warm her up, however gradually.  Wrapped in a towel, Cheryl described how small she was, likely underweight and also dehydrated.  So readers, we got the save!  This is the ‘resurrection’ story…this is a story of how things sometimes ‘go right’ in nature.


Cheryl, new friend and advocate for wild life.



Cheryl and Dan AIWC volunteers…amazing people!

I’m so grateful that I have this story to share with each of you and thank all of you for putting up with my perpetual efforts and amusement in all of this.  I will be applying for AIWC as soon as possible.  There’s some evidence that I take an interest!

Report from Cheryl is that Mrs. Shoveler is being assessed by their vet team…she couldn’t stay for her check up as she was off and running to deal with an owl stuck in a vehicle rad. :0(  Apparently, these are the stories of our wildlife friends and I encourage you to support, how you can, the fine people who fulfill this very specialized need.

To update my readers…and again, thank you for your support through this little journey into nature.

To all of my readers/supporters/wild life enthusiasts, I am sorry after such a ‘save’ today that I have to report that Mrs. had to be humanely put to rest this afternoon. Her fracture to her left leg was a complicated one as it was on her joint, she had multiple fractures to her toes and she had extensive frost bite to the left foot as well. There was no treatment that might have prepared her body for the life of a functioning Northern Shoveler. She was a resilient and determined Mrs. and she filled my heart…and she made Max bark…and she created light in her life by the sheer beauty of ‘being’. If she was that for us, how much more can we be for others, not by appearances, but, by sheer will? Just paddle as hard as you can. It is enough. AIWC rocks. I just want to thank you and I’m happy that she isn’t alone out there, in the snow and cold tonight.

15 thoughts on “Coming Clean!

  1. Good for you Kath. Your tenacity paid off. I would have let nature take its course, thinking that perhaps there a den of foxes going hunger.

    • That’s the fate that I had accepted, thinking that a female coyote might also be made stronger. It’s tough out there for all wild life right now. It was so wonderful to see you last evening. I’ll be enjoying a lavendar bath tonight and will be just hanging out inside. The roads are terrible out there!

    • Oh, Astrid…we are such kindred where biology is concerned. If I had a business I would be having you in for biomimicry! You’ve inspired me ever since I met you!

  2. Oh Kath! !! You made my eyes wet (as Marley would say)
    So SO happy to read this. You’re amazing.

  3. Your “old man” is so very proud of you Kath Two are looking down on you and the wonderful folks that made this story possible. One is our mighty God who made all creatures and told us to care for them and the other your big hearted and loving Mother who I know is saying “well done Kath I knew you wouldn’t quit.”

  4. A happy ending…..I am so thankful. I have been reading your posts about Mrs. Shoveler and felt sad to think of her fate, but sometimes people and nature meet at just the right intersection where we are actually helpful, not harmful. You have such a big heart, Kath; the world is lucky to have you. Well done and amazing work by a dedicated group of caring people!

    • Awe. Thank you! It’s a wonderful thing that so many Calgarians are concerned for our environment and our wildlife, often without much acknowledgement or notice…it’s just a grass roots movement that makes me so proud!

  5. Thanks for posting your Mrs. Shoveler rescue story. I’m so sorry to hear that her injuries were not fixable. At least her suffering was ended and she didn’t have to die alone in the cold.

    I called in my first wild bird rescue in November and I didn’t know at all then what was involved with such rescues. I also ended up getting help from the AIWC. Three volunteers came. They also called the fire department, who inflated a boat and tried to paddle after a loon on the Bow River. One of the loon’s legs was tied to one of its wings by a fishing line so it could not fly. It could dive though, so the rescuers could not catch it. I had hoped catching it would be easier and I don’t know what happened to the loon in the following days.

    I found the difficulty of helping the loon disheartening. So I appreciate your story because it reminded me that one has to try to help even though at times the outcome may not be the big save we hope for. Mrs. Shoveler could have had fixable injuries. I also appreciated your dedication in visiting Mrs. Shoveler every day. And I am so amazed by the kindness and time commitment of the AIWC volunteers. In the case of the loon rescue, I was also very impressed the involvement of the fire department. It was nice to see how much people care.

    • Thank you so much, for your letter and for sharing your efforts. I think everything that we do to be stewards of the natural world, is to be regarded with gratitude, hope and optimism. If we stoop to pick up someone else’s litter, we are demonstrating reverence for creation. If we try to save a single bird, we show the light of humanity instead of darkness. Grateful for your comment!

  6. Pingback: Wildlife in Distress: What to Do - Peartree Blog

Leave a Reply